Skip to Main Content
Weighted Average Cost of Capital
30 yr Treasury Rates:
- Use the 30 year bond for the risk free rate
Market Rate (change in the S&P 500):
Example: I want to obtain the change in the S&P 500 index during 2016.
- Click either the link for the S&P 500 or U.S. Indices
- Click Historical Prices
- Select Jan 1, 2016 as the Start Date and Dec 31, 2016 as the End Date
- Select Daily for frequency (I want closing prices for the end of the year)
- Click Get Prices
- Scroll to the bottom of the screen and click Download to Spreadsheet
Long-term Debt and Tax Rate:
Example: I need the tax rate and long-term debt for Southwest Airlines.
- Type in either southwest airlines or the ticker symbol (LUV) into the box
- Click Go
- Select Southwest Airlines
- Click the link for Long-term debt. If the company has long-term debt, the total will be listed here.
- Click the tab forCompany Financials
- The default financial statement is the balance sheet. Total stockholder's equity will appear in the balance sheet.
- From the Company Financials screen, click the link for Ratios. The Tax rate will appear on the ratios screen
Example: I need the bond rate for Ford.
Example: I need a 10-K/Annual reports for Amazon. The 10-K will reveal if your company has issued coupons or other debt instruments.
- Type amazon into the box
- Click Go
- Click the link for Reports
- Search the document for terms such as bonds, convertible notes, debentures, etc.
Please note: if you check the 10-K for bond yields, make sure that you are evaluating bonds that the company *issued* rather than *purchased*.