Skip to Main Content
Cross Cultural Management Business Etiquette Resource Guide
Use this guide instead if seeking resources for conducting business abroad and researching the influence of culture on management practice in a non-English speaking country. Use this guide to learn how to search for scholarly articles on business cultures and locate eBooks on business etiquette.
Obtaining Country Reports, Background Country Info, and Economic Data With Passport
Passport (formerly Global Market Information Database) This link opens in a new window
Passport provides business intelligence on countries, consumers and industries across 781 cities, 210 countries, and provides both historic data and forecasted data. This database is only available to current Pepperdine students, faculty, and staff.
Example: I need a country report for Spain from a business perspective.
- Type Spain business dynamics into the search box at the top
- Select the report for Business Dynamics: Spain
Example: I want forecasted GDP data and inflation rates for New Zealand and several other countries.
- At the top of the screen, click the link for Economies and select Economy, Finance and Trade
- Go the section for "Statistics" and use the pull-down menu to select "GDP"
- Click Go
- Scroll down to GDP and click the arrow
- Select all of the types of GDP data that you need
- Click Next
- Go to Geographies and select New Zealand
- Click Search
- Click the link Economies and Consumers Annual Data on the left-hand column
- Use the pull-down menu to select the years that you need (forecasted data is available to 2030
- Click Apply
Example: I want some information on the city of Mumbai.
- Type Mumbai into the search box and then select City Travel Briefing: Mumbai
- Download the report as a PDF
Example: I need a report covering consumer lifestyles for a specific country.
- Select the link for Countries & Consumers at the top of the screen
- Click Consumer Trends & Lifestyles
- Go to the Consumer Lifestyles section and select your country with the pull-down menu and click Go
(examples courtesy of Marc Vinyard)
Other Resources for Doing Business In..
Sourcing Data and Statistics from IMF
Locating Various Country Profiles Using Business Source Premier
Business Source Complete This link opens in a new window
Country reports within this database discuss business, economic, risk and political trends.
Example: I need a country report for China
- Type China into the first search box and change Select a Field to GE Geographic Terms
- Scroll down to Publication Type and select "Country Report"
- Click Search
Tip: Use the date range filter to display only the past few years of results
Other Library Resources for Locating Country Information
Statista This link opens in a new window
Statista.com consolidates statistical data on over 80,000 topics from more than 22,500 sources. Pepperdine's subscription includes access to the expert tools and the Global Consumer Survey for 28 countries. Country Reports are available for 150 countries and focus on the general economy, consumers, technology, and politics. They allow regional comparisons than can be used for market research, risk assessment or for the strategy development, planning, and execution of business operations.
Mergent Online This link opens in a new window
Mergent Online provides comprehensive information for evaluating risks and opportunities across the globe. Including: Country Risk Indicator Summary -- key statistics covering GDP, government finances, balance of payments, cross country development comparisons and non-numerical information.A two-page briefing on four principal areas of risk: political, macroeconomic, external economy and commercial. - Political Risk - Macroeconomic Risk - External Economic Risk - and more
Nations of the World 2018 by World of Information (Editor)
Call Number: HC10 .N36 (REFERENCE - NO CIRC) + e-book
Publication Date: 2018
This comprehensive handbook profiles 231 nations and self-governing territories around the world in an easy-to-access, single-volume format. More than 2,000 pages present political, economic and business information not found in any other reference work of its kind.