Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Example: I need information on mutual fund returns.
- Go to Morningstar's web site
- You will have to register for a free account to obtain statistical data
- Either type in the name of a fund in the search box at the top or click the link for Research at the top of the screen and select Mutual Funds
- Scroll down tand select Basic Fund Screener
- After retrieving a list, click one of the funds. Be Sure to select an Equity fund.
- On the page for the fund, click the link for Performance
- The Performance section will provide the total returns on an annual basis
Example: I need total returns on the S&P 500 Index.
- Type S&P 500 tr into the search box at the top (TR stands for Total Return which means that the returns are based on both changes in price and dividends
- Select S&P 500 TR (1989)
- The total return % for the past few years will appear both on the Quote tab and the Performance tab