Skip to main content
Where can I find the CSE Manual?
What is the CSE Style Guide?
The 7th edition of the CSE Manual is designed to cover "a wide variety of disciplines in experimental and observational science, with emphasis on the physical and life sciences."
The CSE Manual provides the writer guidance for both scientific nomenclature and references.
Chapter 29 of the CSE Manual covers References.
Contents of the CSE Manual
Chapters of the CSE Manual
- Elements of a scientific publication
- Publication policies and practices
- The basics of copyright
- Alphabets, symbols, and signs
- Punctuation and related marks
- Spelling, word formation and division, plurals, and possessions
- Prose style and word choice
- Names and personal designations
- Type styles, excerpts, quotations, and ellipses
- Numbers, units, mathematical expressions, and statistics
- Time and dates
- Geographic designations
- The electromagnetic spectrum
- Subatomic particles, chemical elements, and related notations
- Chemical formulas and names
- Chemical kinetics and thermodynamics
- Analytical methods
- Drugs and pharmacokinetics
- Genes, chromosomes, and related molecules
- Taxonomy and nomenclature
- Structure and function
- Disease names
- The earth
- Astronomical objects and time systems
- Journal style and format
- Books, technical reports, conference proceedings, and other monographs
- Accessories to text : tables, figures, and indexes
- Typography and manuscript preparation
- Proof correction